Monday, June 23, 2014

And We're Off!

I just finished up my first week at Peru’s Ministry of Education (MINEDU). I’ve mostly been reviewing academic papers and PowerPoint presentations in an accelerated attempt to get up to speed. My MINEDU Dropbox folder has swelled to twelve subfolders, and I’ve learned plenty of new buzzwords in Spanish (my favorite so far is “retroalimentación,” which is a very literal translation of  “feedback”).

My main takeaway so far? I had no idea that policymakers took academic papers this seriously. Around the Kennedy School, I feel like it’s common to hear professors and students lament the divide between academia and government. In the week that I’ve been here, however, I’ve seen the ministry draw on sources of expertise as diverse as J-PAL, Pratham, McKinsey, and the University of Oregon Center on Teaching and Learning. It’s encouraging and a little sobering to realize that those “ivory tower” debates sometimes have avid listeners.

No comments:

Post a Comment